Preparing Your Home for a Professional Photo Shoot
The photo-shoot should take no more than 1 hour (house bigger than 3,000 sq ft may take more time). We will be photographing both the inside and outside of your home including all major rooms. You have a direct impact on how well your home will look in the photos by following these guidelines.
You can also download the home preparing checklist here. We also have a Spanish version.
- Replace any burned out light bulbs in fixtures and lamps.
- Remove all vehicles from driveways
- Move garbage cans out of sight.
- Remove all the clutter such as cans, garden tools, pool toys, etc
- Clean the driveways, sidewalks and patios
- Prepare the lawn by trimming the grass, taking out died plants and watering the plants
- If you have a pool, remove the pool sweep, pool cleaning equipment and any pool toys.
- Replace all burned out light bulbs
- Turn on all interior lights and keep them on during the shooting session
- Turn ceiling fans and televisions off.
- Remove all the exposed items such as cables, newspapers, kid toys, personal photos, religion symbols, etc
- Dust and vacuum all the rooms
- Don’t leave any dirty dishes in the sink
- Move all the trash cans
- Clear off the counter-tops – toothbrushes, shavers, soap dishes, tissue & lotion dispensers, makeup mirrors, etc.
- Windows, glass doors and mirrors should be cleaned
- Open the blinds, shades and curtains if there have good views of the neighborhood
- Fresh flowers can be used to decorate some rooms and fresh fruits to stage the kitchen
- Please make sure pets are contained, their food cans and litter boxes away from the view while photographs are being made
- Throw rugs and runners in entryways, kitchens, and bathrooms should be removed.
Some Additional Tips for:
The Home Exterior
- Mow and rake yard.
- Sweep driveways, sidewalks and patios.
- Clean grease stains from driveway
- Clear back yard of pet waste
The Living & Family Room
- Remove piles of newspaper and magazines.
- Hide all TV/Stereo remotes.
- Conceal all exposed cables as best possible.
- Remove clutter, personal photos, etc. from bookshelves tables and cabinets.
- Tuck trash cans out of view in a closet or cupboard
- Make all beds and tidy bedrooms.
- Clothes hung, or folded and put away.
- Remove items from bedside tables – books, magazines, pictures, clock radios, etc.
- Plug in and turn nightstand lights ON
- Clear off counter tops and remove any appliances, i.e. toasters, coffee pots, knife blocks.
- Remove photos, notes and papers from the refrigerator.
- Clean the major appliances – refrigerator, oven, range hood, and wipe down all countertops.
The Dining Room
- Set the table with your best China and dinnerware. (Optional)
- Add a colorful centerpiece such as candles or flowers.
- Remove child seats/booster chairs
- Remove shampoo and other products from the shower/tub area.
- All toilet seats should be down and lid closed.
- Mirrors should be clean.
The Final Touches
- Contain pets in the garage or out of sight.
- Place all shoes/jackets in closets